The Lansing Church is looking for a new secretary! Vicky McKenzie, who has served our church for the last year and a half, has accepted the secretary job at Greater Lansing Adventist School. We will miss her terribly but are grateful that the school is receiving an excellent addition to its team.
We are now looking for a secretary on our end. If you or someone you know is looking for a part-time job, please contact Pastor Phil Mills.
Job Title: Church Secretary
Supervisor: Phil Mills
Supervisor’s Title: Senior Pastor, Lansing SDA Church
Revised: Aug 9, 2022
Hours: Up to 18 hours per week
Week Days: Variable, depending on scheduled needs (the pastor would sit down with the secretary and work out the best schedule based on church and secretary needs).
Position Summary: Performs general secretarial duties for the Lansing Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Looking for someone who: Believes in and works towards an active church in our community. Ability to think critically, to assess other areas that need attention in connection with other facets of the work.
Essential Job Functions:
- Phone Messages Retrieval and Return
- One Call
- Opening Mail and Sorting
- Send out invitations to upcoming events (digitally and sometimes mailings to interest list)
- Coordination of event information and scheduling
- This would include organizing events by date (inputting each of the events that have come in, communicating with appropriate departments, then working through the location conflicts, downloading graphics and making sure each area of communication has received appropriate copies, etc.
- Posting articles from the communication team with appropriate graphics online
- Graphics for events and website
- Layout and design
- Weekly information
- Update online web bulletin
- Pick up office supplies, Etc.
- Attend staff meetings and church boards.
- Group coordination and upkeep in Planning Center
- Water the Piano and office plants
- Work with assistant pastor needs
- Baptism gifts
- Funeral duties
- Decorate and keep up to date the glass-enclosed foyer board
- Church Secretarial Support of programs and evangelism
Knowledge and Skills:
Working knowledge of or ability to learn: WordPress, layout and design, Affinity publisher, email, Microsoft Word, Apple computer, Church Center, and Zoom.
Copy: Proficient in writing, and proofing bulletins, announcements, and articles.
Typical Mental / Emotional Demands: Must be able to perform duties in a timely fashion; take directions from the direct supervisor; exercise prioritizing and organizational skills, and deal with the public and professional personnel in a pleasant manner.
Equipment: Church will provide a computer in the office for digital work.
Employees are required to comply with the standards, policies, and procedures of the Michigan Conference, including those set out in the Employee Handbook.
This job description is intended to describe this position’s general nature and work responsibilities. All job responsibilities are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Lansing Church. The essential function of this position has been determined as of the effective date of this job description. This job description may be supplemented as changes in the position occur. Employees must comply with the supervisory instructions and perform other job duties and responsibilities required by their supervisor.